I (Heart) Courtenay, BC

Courtenay, BC is the closest town to Hornby Island.  Besides its pretty name Courtenay boasts smiling, friendly people and some really hip businesses.  I know there is more to discover but here is what makes Courtenay great to us so far:

The Broken Spoke, a sweet little coffee shop and bike store all rolled up into one.  Great coffee, friendly staff, and fresh baked muffins and sandwiches.

Locals restaurant.  Hidden in a nondescript strip mall, it has good atmosphere, a good wine list and truly great food featuring local ingredients.  The Market Chowder is sublime and the mussels appetizer is so good that I almost licked the bowl clean.  Our waitress Patti was such fun and genuinely warm.   We went for lunch and I would have like to stay all day.  This is by far the best restaurant we have tried so far in town.

For decadent chocolate, gelato, and great artisan bread visit Hot Chocolates on Fifth Street.  Fifth is an old time shopping street with lots of sidewalk charm.

Thrifty Foods.  I have never been to a friendlier grocery store.  With great products and good prices, they really attend to their customers' happiness.

Looking at my list I realize it is all about food.  Well, what is wrong with that?  Besides love, what else is there?

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

I'm with ya on that bro!